Thursday, November 10, 2016

Dreamwave Wrestling to shut down after December event

 
November 10, 2016
DREAMWAVE Wrestling
10 hrs ·

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I come to you this morning to inform everyone that December 3rd, 2016 will be the final DREAMWAVE Wrestling show.

In this day and age, it’s hard to keep a secret. However, I’ve been moderately successful in doing so since last December. It was at that time that I decided I was going to produce one more year of DREAMWAVE Wrestling before calling it quits. Those in my inner circle were made aware of my decision, but few believed I would actually follow through with it. Knowing our time was limited, we went insane with bringing in guests such as Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, etc. I guess it was sort of a “bucket list” thing for me. In doing so, we accidentally had our best year ever, and that's no bull****.

So why walk away from something that means so much, to so many, and is financially successful?

I promoted my first show, Revolution Championship Wrestling’s “Uprising”, on April 20th, 2002. I’ve had some breaks in between, but that is a long time to do anything. In fact, part of me feels like we’ve done “everything”. At least everything we could. I honestly feel like DREAMWAVE has nothing left to do and nothing left to prove to anyone. I’ve reached all of my goals personally and professionally in wrestling. I’m excited to move on to my next challenge.

I’m certain there will be unfounded speculation about why DREAMWAVE will cease to exist beyond this season, but please understand this: there is no debt, there is no scandal, there are no underlying issues that caused or forced this decision. DREAMWAVE is an extremely successful company. It’s on me. I’m done. At the risk of sounding too melodramatic, I’d rather “Die the hero, than live long enough to see myself become the villain.”

I feel like I left indy wrestling, at least in my corner of the universe, in better shape than it was in when I found it. That is extremely important to me. Whether it was helping a veteran revitalize their career, or by giving a young guy an opportunity he wouldn’t have typically had, I am proud of the opportunities we gave people. DREAMWAVE has put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces over the years, something I'm very proud of.

While some will find out this way, don't equate this to breaking up with someone via text message. I informed many of the top guys and my close confidants that this would be happening soon a couple of months ago. In all actuality, I've forecasted this every year for the last three or four. My plan was originally to stop at 100, but we had a commitment to our season ticket holders for a December show. I apologize to everyone for the cloak and dagger secrecy, but I had to keep it as quiet as possible, for a lot of reasons.

I care about the excellent legacy we have all created for professional wrestling in LaSalle. It is important to me what happens after I’m gone. I didn’t want someone coming in and compromising the integrity of everything we have worked so hard to create.

That being said, beginning early next year, my friends and peers, AAW Wrestling, will be running a very similar schedule to what DREAMWAVE was running at the Knights of Columbus in La Salle, IL. Myself, and a large portion of the DREAMWAVE crew will be staying on to assure that the transition will be seamless for them and our fans. I don’t want to speak for anyone in their camp, but they have the utmost respect for LaSalle wrestling and it's fans. I know they have a lot of announcements forthcoming, but I'll leave those to them.

I want to thank everyone who supported DREAMWAVE during it’s amazing run. I'm eternally grateful for the lifetime of memories we've created together over the last seven plus years. I have truly been blessed with an embarrassment of riches. While I am at total peace with my decision, it's impossible for me to fight back the tears as I write this, as a large portion of my adult life is flashing before my eyes. Not many people have the opportunity to live out their dreams, let alone do it twice. God bless you all for allowing me that luxury. These years will always be fondly remembered by me and many others.

We will have one final show on 12/3 to say goodbye to DREAMWAVE. I’d love to invite anyone who has ever been a part of the locker room or the company to come say goodbye on 12/3. It's a celebration, not a memorial. So let's drink a few and do it LaSalle style, one...last...time.

I'll retain the intellectual property and video library and hold on to them forever, so I can forever protect the public perception and integrity of DREAMWAVE.

Beginning next year, I am excited to witness a new beginning for LaSalle wrestling, with the very capable hands of our AAW friends at the helm who have my 100% blessing. I'll stick around until they won't have me anymore to assure yet another successful chapter in LaSalle's rich wrestling tradition.

Respectfully Yours,

Jay Repsel

No comments: